It certainly did to the conditions and a rather wet and blustery day kept many a PB at bay. With its long stretching out and back course the likelihood of having to tackle a wind for most part of the race is pretty much 50/50 and so it was that many of you lot have come back from Redcar with tales of ‘6 miles of torture’.
And so it was New Marske man Jim Bulman who took on the challenge from the front and on paper wasn’t troubled on the day. Conditions being such, that it was a mere 71:59 which was enough to secure 1st place on the day. Bulman, a V40 added the victory to a collection of wins which have gone with a string of races over the summer – in fact, in a shift from 2011, Bulman has been more than totting up the race appearances with 15 since the start of March where he finished the Haweswater Half in 73:31.
Bulman’s time ranking him 21st in the UK over the Half Marathon distance but we’re sure with the recent form shown in Middlesbrough Tees Prode 10k (32:19 in 6th) under more favorable conditions and a little more competition that 71min barrier may well have been broken.
2nd pace went to fellow New Markse Harrier Shaun O’Grady who showed he’s returning to form with a 74:50 finish, 150m clear of Jarrow and Hebburn’s Andy Burn (75:07) who’s gone from strength to strength this year.
Unsurprisingly it was New Marske Harriers who took the team honors with just 43 points between their top 4 runners : Bulman (1), O’Grady (2), Danby (6), Sugden (34).
Other noteable performances coming from Ian Bloomfield of Chester-Le-Street who as a V55 put in a 81:11 to rank 11th in the UK at time over writing over the half.
All in all another well supported and well organized event in the North East – onwards to the 31st.
Top 10 Male Finishers:
1. James Bulman M40, New Marske Harriers AC, 71.59
2. Shaun O'Grady M35, New Marske Harriers AC, 74.50
3. Andy Burn, Jarrow & Hebburn AC, 75.07
4. Steve Potts, M35, Sunderland Harriers & AC, 75.25
5. Craig Isherwood, Sunderland Harriers & AC, 75.43
6. Tom Danby, New Marske Harriers AC, 76.06
7. Andy Chadfield, M35, Billingham Marsh House Harriers, 76.20
8. Mark Smith, Aberystwyth AC, 77.03
9. Graeme Cook, North Shields Polytechnic, 77.19
10. Paul Kaiser, Valley Striders, 78.16
Top 5 Female Finishers:
1. Aiveen Fox (55), Durham City Harriers & AC, 86.04
2. Michelle Avery (65), Unattached, 87.03
3. Kay Neesam (76), F45, New Marske Harriers AC, 88.06
4. Sarah Black (99), F35, Hartlepool Burn Road Harriers, 89.45
5. Kath Aspin (110), F45, New Marske Harriers AC, 90.29
Full results can be found by clicking here.
See below for some pictures of the race. North East Runner would like to thank Iain Twaddle for use of these pictures.